Monday, December 25, 2017

Big Year 2017

Merry Christmas everyone! Ever since Josh's big year, in 2012, at the end of each year I've liked to figure out how I could've theoretically done, had I done a big year over the course of past year.

To-date, I've seen 304 species in the province, one of my better totals, with several great overall rarities and self-found rares, including:

Pacific Loon (self-found)
Wood Stork (lifer!)
Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (new county tick to my home county)
Mississippi Kite (self-found)
Swainson's Hawk (self-found)
King Rail (self-found)
Black-necked Stilt
White-winged Dove
Anna's Hummingbird (lifer!)
Black-billed Magpie
Violet-green Swallow (lifer!)
Rock Wren (lifer! and self-found!)
Mountain Bluebird (new county tick to my home county)
Smith's Longspur
Kirtland's Warbler
Yellow-throated Warbler (new county tick to my home county)
Black-throated Gray Warbler
Townsend's Warbler
Henslow's Sparrow (self-found)
Lark Sparrow
Blue Grosbeak (self-found)
Western Meadowlark (self-found)
Brambling (lifer!)

Having listed the species I was fortunate enough to see, the following list is the species I could've/would've seen had I done a big year:

305. Bohemian Waxwing
306. Northern Saw-whet Owl
307. Red Knot
308. Hudsonian Godwit
309. Piping Plover
310. Parasitic Jaeger
311. Buff-breasted Sandpiper
312. Eurasian Wigeon
313. Harris's Sparrow
314. Yellow-headed Blackbird
315. Yellow Rail - James Bay July
316. Arctic Tern - James Bay July
317. Northern Hawk-Owl
318. Franklin's Gull - Rainy River
319. Willow Ptarmigan - Hudson Bay June
320. Gray Partridge - Ottawa
321. Worm-eating Warbler - late May Port Franks
322. Black-legged Kittiwake - October Van Wagner's
323. Snowy Egret - June Windermere
324. Boreal Owl
325. Western Grebe (Mississauga)
326. Townsend's Solitaire (several)
327. Red Phalarope
328. Pomarine Jager
329. Glossy Ibis (August., Mitchell)
330. Long-tailed Jaeger
331. Chuck-will's Widow - June PRince Edward County
332. Eurasian Collared-Dove (Sept., ROndeau)
333. Cave Swallow (Ocober, Pelee)
334. Black-headed Gull (Feb., Port Wellar)
335. Neotropic Cormorant (Sept., Whitby)
336. White-faced Ibis May, Lindsayu)
337. Ruff (April, Bruce)
338. Eurasian Tree-Sparrow (current, Wawa)
339. Northern Gannet (November, Hamilton)
340. Scissor-tailed Flycatcher (June, Mississauga)
341. Tricolored Heron (June/July Toronto)
342. Tufted Duck (December Mississauga)
343. Razorbill (October Ottawa)
344. Western Tanager (May, Dwight)
345. Painted Bunting (April, Denbigh)
346. Magnificent Frigatebird (early July Pelee)
347. Fork-tailed Flycatcher (Sept. Toronto)
348. Little Blue Heron (April, St. Thomas)
349. Brown Pelican (early June, Niagara)
350. Slaty-backed Gull (January Niagara)
351. Black Guilletmot (October - Netit)
352. Barn Owl - Essex County December (sounds like a few ppl got to go...)
353. Varied Thrush (Feb., Thunder Bay)
354. Western Sandpiper (October, Hamilton)


Northern Bobwhite - are there any wild birds in Ontario anymore????
Western Kingbird - one in Pelee in October, and 1-2 in Rainy River
Laughing Gull - there was a few hanging around Toronto in early June

If you haven't come to the conclusion, 2017 was I believe THE best year ever, to-date in terms of species diversity in the province.

I think a realistic number for a big year this year, blitzing the province the entire year, would be 350-355. This number is pretty nuts, but after looking at the list of rarities, the list just seems to go on and on and seems to serve as a bit of a benchmark for species numbers in the province.

9 comments:

  1. This year was pretty insane! I might do a comparison of 2017 with 2012 at some point. The total species reported in the province was quite similar, but I think the main difference is that more of the rarities were actually chaseable this year. Just a hunch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeremy sure knows how to pick a year...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good summary Ken! Seeing as I lived it in this same time frame, I agree with more or less everything on this list, including seven that I did not catch up with due to budget/time constraints, unlucky decisions, and in the case of Willow Ptarmigan, a somewhat regrettable decision when combined with not being able to afford it later. That leaves Gyrfalcon and Purple Sandpiper for nine total I missed from this list, but my list has 346, one more than that. I can't think of what the odd species is that is not in your post here but made my year list... Unless perhaps you did not include Purple Sandpiper?

    I agree that this appears to be Ontario's best year ever for rarity variety, surely at least the best for opportunities to catch up with said rarities! I joked many times with Tim about coining "the year of the rarity" on this year in the province.

    It's been a lot of fun really giving it a shot, and frankly, although we have not birded together a ton, I give you and your magical family of devoted, helpful, and top-notch birders much credit for being such a positive influence in Ontario's high quality birding network and on my birding personally! Have a great 2018 Ken.

    Jere

    ReplyDelete
  4. HOW I BECAME A VICTOR AFTER SO MANY FAILED ATTEMPT OF GETTING A LOAN.

    I feel so blessed and fulfilled. I've been reluctant in applying for a loan i heard about online because everything seems too good to be true, but i was convinced & shocked when my friend at my place of work got a loan from Progresive Loan INC. & we both confirmed it and i also went ahead to apply, today am a proud owner of my company and making money for my family and a happy mom. Well i'm Annie Joe by name from Pauls Valley, Oklahoma. As a single mom with three kids it was hard to get a job that could take care of me and my kids and I had so much bills to pay and to make it worst I had bad credit so i couldn't obtain a loan from any bank. I had an ideal to start a business as an hair stylist but had no capital to start, Tried all type of banks but didn't work out until I was referred by my co-worker to a godsent lender advertising to give a loan at 2% interest rate. I sent them a mail using their official email address (progresiveloan@yahoo.com) and I got a reply immediately and my loan was approved, and I was directed to the Bank site where I withdrawed my loan directly to my account. To cut the story short am proud of my hair stylist company and promise to testify to the world how my life was transformed.. If you are in need of any kind of loan, i advise you contact Progresive Loan INC and be financially lifted Email: progresiveloan@yahoo.com OR Call/Text +1(603) 786-7565



    ReplyDelete
  5. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH FOR THE WISE,PROSPER LOAN FIRM IS THE ONLY WAY OUT FROM ANY FINANCIAL DIFFICULTIES { prosperloanfirm@yahoo.com }

    Greetings great mind, It will be my greatest pleasure saving Individuals and companies from extortion, I know not everyone will want to take it upon their self to reveal the bitter truth about online Lending because of insecurity, Time of doing it and all that. I Ryan F. Tyler, an outstanding businessman who reside at Oakland, California has taken it upon himself to share this article to whom it may concern so they can learn and educate their self from it . It's bad to the extend where you see testimonies online about getting a loan and it turn out to be fake. For real i have fallen for that tricks countless time to the extend i lost almost 65,000usd in total all in the name of getting a loan to invest in a very lucrative business. After so many failed attempt of securing a loan, I and my Manager went online to do a thorough search and found this company PROSPER LOAN FIRM ( (816) 366-8769 ) but before giving it a try we also went ahead to make sure they are registered under BBB, check their reviews and also go to their headquarter to confirm their existence and capability.We were so careful because we didn't wanted to lose any dime again and to our greatest expectation they deliver according to their review and grant us our desire loan amount of 510,000Usd. A word to everyone out there when it comes to Online Lenders contact only PROSPER LOAN FIRM via email: { prosperloanfirm@yahoo.com } or drop a message to them via text at (816) 366-8769 and consider all your financial problems tackled and solved.#SHARE, You can rescue someone from been victimized today, Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good-day, I'm Josef Lewis. A reputable, legitimate & accredited lender. We give out loan of all kinds in a very fast and easy way, Personal Loan, Car Loan, Home Loan, Student Loan, Business Loan, Inventor loan, Debt Consolidation. etc

    Get approved for a business or personal loans today and get funds within same week of application. These personal loans can be approved regardless of your credit and there are lots of happy customers to back up this claim. But you won’t only get the personal loan you need; you will get the cheapest one. This is our promise: We guarantee The lowest rate for all loans with free collateral benefits.

    We strive to leave a positive lasting impression by exceeding the expectations of my customers in everything I do. Our goal is to treat you with dignity and respect while providing the highest quality service in a timely manner. No social security Number required and no credit check required, 100% Guaranteed. Kindly respond immediately using the details below if interested in a loan and be free of scams..

    Email: progresiveloan@yahoo.com
    Call/Text +1(603) 786-7565 thanks



    ReplyDelete
  7. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH FOR THE WISE,PROSPER LOAN FIRM IS THE ONLY WAY OUT FROM ANY FINANCIAL DIFFICULTIES { prosperloanfirm@yahoo.com }

    Greetings great mind, It will be my greatest pleasure saving Individuals and companies from extortion, I know not everyone will want to take it upon their self to reveal the bitter truth about online Lending because of insecurity, Time of doing it and all that. I Ryan F. Tyler, an outstanding businessman who reside at Oakland, California has taken it upon himself to share this article to whom it may concern so they can learn and educate their self from it . It's bad to the extend where you see testimonies online about getting a loan and it turn out to be fake. For real i have fallen for that tricks countless time to the extend i lost almost 65,000usd in total all in the name of getting a loan to invest in a very lucrative business. After so many failed attempt of securing a loan, I and my Manager went online to do a thorough search and found this company PROSPER LOAN FIRM +1(816) 366-8769 ) but before giving it a try we also went ahead to make sure they are registered under BBB, check their reviews and also go to their headquarter to confirm their existence and capability.We were so careful because we didn't wanted to lose any dime again and to our greatest expectation they deliver according to their review and grant us our desire loan amount of 510,000.00Usd. A word to everyone out there when it comes to Online Lenders contact only PROSPER LOAN FIRM via email: { prosperloanfirm@yahoo.com } or drop a message to them via text at +1(816) 366-8769 and consider all your financial problems tackled and solved.#SHARE, You can rescue someone from been victimized today,,,, Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fake birth certificate

    Welcome to Globex documents paperwork experts.
    We produce two types of documents qualities.
    
We have the Real registered Fake birth certificate and good quality Fake birth certificate which is unregistered.
With the Real Fake birth certificate, all your biometric details as given from birth or any of your choice will be registered under the government database system that can be verify from any other country with no mishaps, meanwhile with the camouflage quality Fake birth certificate, non of your biometric details will be under the government system, but it can not be detected as fake with naked eyes, except with the use of machines.

    Visit our website on https://globexdocuments.co/fake-birth-certificate/
    or you can subscribe to our telegram channel for latest updates regarding our different hacking services
    Telegram Channel. https://t.me/offshorehackers

    Telegram Group …. https://t.me/hackersarena2021

    you can contact us via Whatsapp +1(315) 696-1570 or Wickr ..... lizardpro
    for fast response on how it works with your desired type.
    thanks for your understanding.

    ReplyDelete