Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Two posts in two days????

Well I'm not sure whats going on here, but it looks as if I've posted twice in two days??? Yup, that's right. Two things to mention here....


1. I forgot to mention this in my post yesterday, but I'm collecting records for North American Birds and am looking for rare/unusual sightings from the period of March-May. Specifically I'm looking for sightings in Waterloo Region and Wellington County (if you have interesting sightings in other regions, you can send them too).  Send your sightings to me by email asap please.

2. I was in Kincardine early this morning doing some bird work, and had a single female Dickcissel - see below:

Hi Birders,

Was in the Kincardine area this morning and had some nice birding, before the heat took over.

The highlight was a female Dickcissel perched on the hydro wires about 300m. west of the intersection of Concession 7, and Sideroad 20. My colleague and I watched the bird at point blank range for a few minutes before it disappeared - no sign of any males (none were singing), despite us staying in the area for 15 minutes.

Grassland birds were in evidence throughout the area, with numerous Grasshopper Sparrows, and a few Upland Sandpipers present as well. There will hopefully be more Dickcissel's in the area over the next few weeks, as it appears south-western Ontario (as well as the states surrounding the Great Lakes) is undergoing a dramatic incursion of these guys.

Good Birding,
Ken Burrell

Direction: take Hwy. 9 east from Kincardine about 25km, turn north on Sideroad 20. Take this until Concession , and turn left (west). Go about 300m. west and watch the hydro lines, as well as the weedy field on the north side of the road.

 And.....here are some grassland-esque shots to provide filler.


2 comments:

  1. Wow, its getting over-whelming for blog posts!

    Dickcissels are fast becoming dirt birds for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha ya...

    Yeah its pretty crazy how many DICK's are around.

    ReplyDelete