Friday, July 27, 2018

Kingbird thoughts

Way back in June, Brandon and I met up for some birding on the 1st near Wheatley. The weather had set-up nicely, with a strong cold front, with cool temps. and a decent north/northeast wind.

We were hoping for Kites or whatever else might be in the area, as the previous few days had been hit by a large southwesterly system with high temps and strong SW winds. I wasn't able to get to the lake until closer to 9am, so missed a few Dickcissel's that Brandon had before me.

Arriving around 9am, decent numbers of landbirds were still passing through, particularly when you factor in the date. Within the first hour, we had 3 Dickcissel's, a pair of Pine Siskins, and a late Northern Parula.

Shortly after 11am a yellow-bellied-type Kingbird flew by, which Brandon was able to photograph. I called Mike shortly after to get some figures from Pyle, while my initial immediate thought to Mike was a Cassin's, we quickly concluded that Western was obviously way more likely and that we'd wait to look at the photos on the computer to confirm.

[Getting back to town I honestly don't know why we didn't look more into it but we didn't. (the only thing I can think of is I had just moved days earlier and was still getting unpacked, while Brandon was just starting a new job and in the process of selling/buying a house). Anyways, long story short, we are now getting back to the bird and were hoping for your thoughts on it. I've sent it out to quite a number of west coast and American birders who are familiar with both Western and Cassin's and I have my thoughts/suspicions.]

Here are the pics that Brandon was able to get of it:




Brandon and I kept birding and had a bunch more interesting birds, including Red-throated Loon and Pied-billed Grebe, while the hawk flight finally started, we ended up with a remarkable 11 Broad-winged Hawks and most bizarre of all a light morph Rough-legged Hawk!!!

Getting a MIKI or even STKI has got to be much more likely than a June Roughie...

All in all a great day! Here's a link to my eBird checklist (note the checklist hasn't been updated since the day of): https://ebird.org/canada/view/checklist/S46221355

4 comments:

  1. Not a lot to go on, but for what it is worth after a quick look there is a hint of pale/whitish at the tip of the tail which fits Cassin's. There seems to be no indication of white along the outer tail feathers, which if present would suggest Western.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of $250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius, call/whats-App Contact Number +918929509036 via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you need a loan .We are Legitimate and guarantee loan lender. We are a company with financial assistance. We loan funds out to individuals in need of financial assistance, that have a bad credit or in need of money to pay bills, to invest on business. I want to use this medium to inform you that we render reliable beneficiary assistance as We'll be glad to offer you a loan Contact us via Email: pennymarkloanservices@gmail.com

    Services Rendered include

    *Home Improvement
    *Inventor Loans
    *Car Loans
    *Debt Consolidation Loan
    *Line of Credit
    *Second Loan
    *Business Loans
    *Personal Loans
    *International Loans.

    Write back if interested with our interest rate of 3% annual. Contact us via Email: pennymarkloanservices@gmail.com
    Please Note: All interested individual must send a message to our email for urgent response and details to obtain a Loan.

    Best Regards.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm from USA i want to testify of a great and powerful spell caster my husband left me and the kids for 2 weeks when i called him he didn't pick up when he came back home the 3 week he told me he wanted a divorce i was so sad i cried all night he left again i was so lonely the next day i was searching for something online when i found a spell caster called Dr Azuka who have helped so many people with their problems so i contacted him with my problems he told me it will take 24hrs and my husband will be back to me i did every thing he told me to do and the next day my husband came back kneeling and begging he canceled the divorce we are now happy together Dr Azuka can help you too email him at (dr.azukasolutionhome@gmail.com) or contact him on whats app +44 7520 636249

    ReplyDelete