Friday, March 9, 2012

Long Point = NO Smew

It's been a while, but I'm still kicking....today the class I TA was cancelled, and with no work scheduled, I decided I'd try my luck down at Long Point and maybe, just maybe see that male Smew found last evening by Ron Ridout.

I got down to LP late in the morning, and birded until late afternoon. There were several birders down there (Josh, and Guelph gang along with Barb Charlton). Spectacular numbers of ducks are in Inner Bay, which was really great to see.

Highlights for me were a drake Blue-winged Teal at BSC's pond and at least half a dozen Little Gull's feeding off the causeway.

Bald Eagle - 1 of the 5 for the day - March 9, 2012

   
Canvasback's - 4 of the estimated 4,500 present on Inner Bay - March 9, 2012

Earlier in the week I was down at Lake St. Clair for work, and saw some nice spring like stuff. Most noteworthy wasn't a bird!! But a very lethargic Leopard Frog.

1 comment:

  1. So, you come all the way to Long Point, even look at our pond and don't even come in the door to say hello? Boy on boy. :-)

    Sorry we couldn't nail it down for you.

    ReplyDelete